Read From Silk to Silicon: The Story of Globalization Through Ten Extraordinary Lives by Jeffrey E. Garten Free Online
Book Title: From Silk to Silicon: The Story of Globalization Through Ten Extraordinary Lives|
The author of the book: Jeffrey E. Garten
Date of issue: March 1st 2016
The size of the: 3.87 MB
City - Country: No data
Loaded: 2537 times
Reader ratings: 4.3
ISBN: No data
ISBN 13: No data
Format files: PDF
Read full description of the books:
The story of globalization, the most powerful force in history, as told through the life and times of ten people who changed the world by their singular, spectacular accomplishments.
This is the first book to look at the history of globalization through the lens of individuals who did something transformative, as opposed to describing globalization through trends, policies, or particular industries. From Silk to Silicon tells the story of who these men and women were, what they did, how they did it and how their achievements continue to shape our world today. They include:
• Genghis Khan, who united east and west by conquest and by opening new trade routes built on groundbreaking transportation, communications, and management innovations.
• Mayer Amschel Rothschild, who arose from an oppressive Jewish ghetto to establish the most powerful bank the world has seen, and ushered in an era of global finance.
• Cyrus Field, who became the father of global communications by leading the effort to build the transatlantic telegraph, the forerunner to global radio, TV, and the worldwide Internet.
• Margaret Thatcher, whose controversial policies opened the gusher of substantially free markets that linked economies across borders.
• Andy Grove, a Hungarian refugee from the Nazis who built the company—Intel—that figured out how to manufacture complex computer chips on a mass, commercial scale and laid the foundation for Silicon Valley’s computer revolution.
Through these stories Jeffrey E. Garten finds the common links between these figure and probes critical questions including: How much influence can any one person have in fundamentally changing the world? And how have past trends in globalization affected the present and how will they shape the future? From Silk to Silicon is an essential book to understanding the past—and the future—of the most powerful force of our times.
Download From Silk to Silicon: The Story of Globalization Through Ten Extraordinary Lives ERUB
Download From Silk to Silicon: The Story of Globalization Through Ten Extraordinary Lives DOC
Download From Silk to Silicon: The Story of Globalization Through Ten Extraordinary Lives TXT
Read information about the authorJeffrey E. Garten teaches courses on the global economy at the Yale School of Management, where he was formerly the dean. He was the undersecretary of commerce for international trade in the Clinton administration, and before that a managing director of the Blackstone Group and Lehman Brothers on Wall Street.
His articles have appeared in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Financial Times, Newsweek, BusinessWeek, Foreign Affairs, Foreign Policy, and the Harvard Business Review, and he is the author of five books on global economics and politics. He is has been a frequent speaker around the world on global politics, global economics, and global leadership.His new book, From Silk to Silicon: The Story of Globalization Through Ten Extraordinary Lives, will be available on March 1, 2016.